Jumat, 07 September 2018

King Cake

kode iklan
kode iklan



A little history about King Cake.  King Cake is a traditional cake made to honor the three kings that visited Baby Jesus on the Epiphany.  King Cake is eaten from the 12th Day of Christmas until Fat Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday.  It is a rich pastry that is similar to a brioche dough; sometimes filled with various fillings, but always decorated with purple, green, and yellow sugar sprinkles.  The purple sugar represents justice, the green represents faith, and the yellow represents power.

I had the best time making this Mardi Gras King Cake.  I made it awhile ago for a project that ended up not getting published so I am sharing it with you now.  The kids and I made it together and had fun adding the colored sprinkles.  They were super excited to see who would get the baby.  I sent Will to school with the piece with the baby the next day and that was the first thing that he told me when I went to pick him up.  I am making a few more this week to celebrate Fat Tuesday at our school.  It should be so much fun to do with the class.  This dough is beautiful to work with and is soft and tender.  Amazing.

INGREDIENTS

  • For the dough:
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 2 packages yeast
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 4 to 5 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup warm milk
  • ................................
  • ...................................
full recipe : bakedbree.com



kode iklan